A message from Ron Manderschied and Alliance partners
I’m joining together with Angela Blanchard and Rod Jones as leaders of settlement houses who are aware that the current climate in our country requires vigilance and action. We need frank discussion and input around areas of both caution and opportunity for our neighbors.
We believe that settlement houses are in a unique position to help policy makers understand how their actions affect real individuals, families, and communities. We have the right combination of community connection and advocacy experience to inform policy makers and work together with them to insure the needs of our communities are met. It is time for us to join together to help more fully realize the power of our strategic action network of hundreds of high impact organizations and thousands of social sector leaders that is facilitated by the Alliance for Strong Families and Communities.
To that end, we are reaching out to ask you and/or a representative from your leadership team to plan to attend two very important and unique upcoming opportunities. We also ask that you share these opportunities with your colleagues in the Alliance network.
- One of four Alliance Policy Agenda Setting Sessions, where you will co-create with fellow network members a shared public policy agenda centered on a set of 3-5 signature issues that we will advance together; and
- The 2017 National Health and Human Services Summit being offered through a partnership between the Alliance and the American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) where the public policy agenda will be announced and we’ll come together with public sector leaders.
Registration links and more details for both events is included below.
Settlement houses are on the ground equipped with data about impact and a history of influencing effective change together. It’s time for us to direct our energy and skills toward a collective effort with our colleagues from the broader social sector. With the Alliance as our eyes and ears in DC paired with a nationwide strategic action network that’s organized around a common agenda, we’ll be equipped to more fully tap the power of our influence.
We hope to see you there!
President and CEO
Neighborhood Centers, Inc.
Goddard Riverside Community Center
Policy Agenda -Setting Sessions
Sessions are free and run from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. You are encouraged to join the one that is most convenient for you.
Session 1: Feb 24 in Washington, D.C. Register for this session.
Session 2: March 3 in St. Louis Register for this session.
Session 3: March 8 in New York City Register for this session.
Session 4: March 15 in Oakland, California Register for this session.
Through this series of sessions, you will co-create with fellow members a clear and compelling values statement and public policy agenda that will be centered on a set of 3-5 signature issues that together we will advance at the federal and state levels.
National Health and Human Services Summit in Baltimore, April 30-May 3.
This Summit is truly a not-to-be-missed opportunity to come together with our public sector colleagues from across the country to help create and impact state, local and national policy; influence the new administration and Congress to embrace our shared vision that the nation’s health and human services (H/HS) system is a cornerstone to building a strong, dynamic and healthy nation; and champion innovations that create strong, vibrant communities. Register for the summit.
This summit will focus on:
- Learning what priorities and plans the new administration and Congress have in store for H/HS
- Delving into policy changes that will lead to better outcomes for children, families, and communities across the nation
- Sharing real-world solutions by showcasing innovative ideas and programs from the public and private sectors
- Highlighting concrete examples of the Human Services Value Curve progression
- Leveraging opportunities for systemic change: advances in neuroscience, data interoperability and analytics, alternative approaches to financing, and new approaches to research
A unique opportunity to dialogue with public sector leaders from the local, state and federal level and bring our unique knowledge and perspective to the table.